member login

register | help
Welcome to Flex-Plan Services for State of Washington Employees

DCAP Frequently Asked Questions



The content of this website is for PEBB benefits-eligible state and higher-education employees of Washington State. If there is any conflict between information posted on the site and the DCAP Enrollment Guide, the DCAP Enrollment Guide prevails.

Go to FSA Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Whose expenses qualify under the DCAP?
A: Your day care expenses must be for the care of your qualifying child under the age of 13 who lives with you and you must provide more than half of the qualifying child’s support.
Q: Can I use the DCAP for a dependent age 13 or older?
A: Yes, day care expenses are eligible for reimbursement if your spouse, qualifying child, or qualifying relative is physically or mentally unable to care for himself or herself. The dependent must reside with you and have income less than the federal exemption amount.
Q: How does the DCAP work if I am divorced?
A: Your child must live with you for more than half of the year in order to be eligible for reimbursements through the DCAP. The parent who has more than 50% custody is eligible for the dependent care regardless of who claims the tax exemption.
Q: Does my dependent care provider have to be a licensed day care center?
A: No, your day care provider can be a private individual or a licensed day care provider. The provider must provide you with their SSN or federal Tax ID number. Additionally, the provider must meet the following conditions:
  • Cannot be a dependent whom you (or your spouse if filing jointly) can claim as an exemption, and
  • Cannot be your child who was under age 19 at the end of the year, even if he or she was not your dependent.
Q: What documentation do I have to submit with my claim form?
A: You must provide documentation from your provider that clearly shows the following:
  • Provider name
  • Dependent's name
  • Date(s) of service
  • Cost of service
  • Types of service(s) provided
Your provider may also sign the day care claim form instead of providing separate documentation. No further documentation would be required then.
Q: What is a day care services contract?
A: You may fill out a day care services contract at the start of each plan year instead of completing a day care claim form each month. A monthly request is automatically processed each month for your day care costs.
Q: Do I have to provide proof of payment with my claim form?
A: No, you do not need to provide proof of payment.
Q: How can I submit my claims?
A: You can submit your claim via mail, email or toll-free fax. Information on how and where to send your claims is listed on the claim form.
Q: Can I submit a claim online or through a mobile app?
A: Yes, you may submit your claims through your online account access at or through the Flexi mobile application. To download the mobile application, search under “Flexi” or “Flex-Plan Services” in the App store or Google Marketplace.
Q: Where do I get claim forms?
A: A claim form will be provided as part of your enrollment confirmation. A copy of your plan’s claim form is also posted under the Forms & Documents section of this Web site. You can also request one through email at or by calling us at 800-669-3539.
Q: How often are claim payments made?
A: Claims are reimbursed on each business day, excluding major holidays, up to the lesser of the claim amount or the DCAP available balance. Please refer to your DCAP Enrollment Guide for additional details.
Q: When will the funds be available to me if I’ve enrolled in direct deposit?
A: The day care reimbursement will appear in your bank account within two business days after the reimbursement date.
Q: When can I begin filing claims against my Dependent Care Assistance Program account?
A: You may file claims as soon as you incur charges (have services provided) after the plan year has begun.
Q: How often can I submit claims?
A: You can file claims at any time during the plan year. Keep in mind that your claims must be filed by March 31 following the plan year.
Q: Is there a minimum claim amount?
A: No, FPS does not have a minimum claim amount.
Q: What does "incurred" mean?
A: Incurred is defined in Internal Revenue Code Section 125 as the date the services were provided that gave rise to the expense. Expenses are not considered provided at the time you are billed for or pay for the services. For the DCAP, this means if you pay for your services in advance, you cannot claim these expenses until they have all been provided. For example, if you pay for February's day care expenses at the beginning of February, you cannot be reimbursed for all of February's expenses until the end of February. You may, however, submit claims each week at the end of that week for the services already provided.
Q: How long does my authorization for direct deposit remain in effect with FPS?
A: Your authorization for direct deposit remains in effect with FPS until you change or revoke that authorization. FPS keeps direct deposit information from plan year to plan year.
Q: How do I change the account number or financial institution where FPS deposits my reimbursements?
A: You can log in to your online account and update your direct deposit information or complete a direct deposit form and return it to FPS.
Q: Does my employer notify FPS when I change my bank account number for direct deposit for payroll?
A: No, changes to your direct deposit information for payroll are not forwarded to FPS.
Q: How do I know if my claim form was received?
A: If you have provided an email address, you will receive an email notification once your claim has been processed. You can view all claims processed by FPS by logging into your online account or through the mobile application. To view your account online, go to and click on the link Account Login. Follow the prompts to determine if you must register your account first.
Q: How can I check on my DCAP balance?
A: You may view your balance and account activity on the FPS web site by going to Account Login. In order to access your account, you will need to create a login and password. You can also access your balance through the mobile application or by calling customer service.
Q: Do kindergarten charges qualify for DCAP reimbursement?
A: No, expenses for kindergarten tuition are considered educational in nature and are not eligible for reimbursement under the DCAP.
Q: Can I change my election amount after I enroll in DCAP?
A: You may change your election if you have a qualified change in status. Refer to the DCAP Enrollment Guide for details.
Q: Can I claim dependent care expenses after my child turns 13 years old?
A: Expenses for dependent care will no longer qualify for the DCAP on the day your child turns 13, unless the dependent cannot mentally or physically provide care for himself.
Q: Do charges for food, transportation, activity fees, etc. qualify for DCAP reimbursement?
A: No, only charges for care and well-being, in order for you to work or look for work, qualify for the DCAP. Separately billed charges for food, transportation, activity fees, etc. do not qualify.
Q: If I pay my dependent care provider in advance of the services, can I file my claim when I pay?
A: Yes, you may submit your claim for services for the upcoming month at the beginning of the month.
Q: Do summer camps that include an overnight stay qualify for my DCAP?
A: No, the Internal Revenue Code doesn't allow expenses for overnight care. The charges cannot be prorated to include the portion that was for care during the day while you were working.
Q: Do soccer, baseball, football, gymnastics, ballet, etc. day camps qualify for my DCAP?
A: Generally, no. However, if the primary purpose of these camps is for care and well-being in order for you (or you and your spouse if married) to be gainfully employed, they may qualify. If the purpose of the camp is for care and well-being, you must send a statement with each claim submitted, stating that the child attends that camp primarily for care and well-being and not for educational purposes. Overnight camps are not eligible for reimbursement.





Questions? Contact us at (800) 669-3539 (FLEX), Monday - Friday from 6:00am to 6:00pm

--© Flex-Plan Services, Inc.  about | privacy | terms & conditions | contact