member login

register | help
Welcome to Flex-Plan Services for State of Washington Employees

FSA Frequently Asked Questions



The content of this website is for PEBB benefits-eligible state and higher education employees of Washington State. If there is any conflict between information posted on the site and the FSA Enrollment Guide, the FSA Enrollment Guide prevails.

Go to DCAP Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Whose expenses qualify under my Medical FSA?
A: Qualifying expenses are for certain medical, dental, and vision expenses not covered or reimbursed by your PEBB health plans for you, your spouse or qualified dependent. You may also claim certain expenses for a child for whom you don’t get the tax exemption due to a divorce decree, as long as one parent claims the child as a tax dependent. The tax exemption may switch from year to year between parents. As long as one parent gets the tax exemption, the medical expenses you pay on behalf of the child to the provider may qualify for FSA reimbursement.
Q: Can I claim my 25-year-old child's eligible medical expenses through my FSA even if I don't claim him or her as a tax dependent?
A: Yes, as long as he or she is:
  • A “child” of the taxpayer (son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, adopted child or an eligible foster child (defined as an individual who is placed with the employee by an authorized placement agency, or by judgment, decree or other order of any court of competent jurisdiction), and
  • Age 26 or younger for the entire plan year in which medical expenses are claimed. If you have a child who turns 27 in a plan year, his or her expenses cannot be claimed in that plan year.
Q: How does the Flexi-Card work?
A: The Flexi-Card is a convenience tool that allows you to access your FSA dollars directly, rather than paying for an expense and waiting for reimbursement. However, in many instances you still must submit documentation to ensure that your purchases are eligible expenses. You may download and print the Flexi-Card application. Your card will arrive 7-10 business days after FPS processes your completed form.
Q: What documentation do I have to submit with my claim form?
A: You must provide documentation from your provider that clearly shows the following: provider name, date(s) of service, cost of service, and type of service(s) provided.
Q: Do I have to send the original provider statements or insurance benefit statements?
A: No, please do not send the originals. Copies of your provider statements or Explanation of Benefits (EOBs) will suffice.
Q: Do I have to provide proof of payment with my claim form?
A: No, we do not require proof of payment in order to process your FSA claim. Your documentation must clearly show that the services were incurred. Please note that for orthodontia expenses, the date of payment is considered the date that services are incurred.
Q: Why do I have to state the general type of services provided?
A: Internal Revenue Code regulations require reimbursement claims state the type of services provided. The regulations also require the plan administrator to determine whether the expense qualifies under the plan and whether the services were provided during the period that the participant was covered under the plan.
Q: How can I submit my claims?
A: You can submit your claims through your online profile, the Flexi Mobile App, email, fax or mail.
Q: Can I submit a claim online or through a mobile app?
A: Yes, you may submit your claims through your online account access at or through the Flexi mobile application. To download the mobile application, search under “Flexi” or “Flex-Plan Services” in the App store or Google Marketplace.
Q: Where do I get claim forms?
A: A claim form will be provided as part of your enrollment confirmation. A copy of your plan’s claim form is also posted under the Forms & Documents section of this Web site. You can also request one through email at or by calling us at 800-669-3539.
Q: How often are claim payments made?
A: Claims are reimbursed on each business day, excluding major holidays, up to the lesser of the claim amount or the FSA available balance. Please refer to your FSA Enrollment Guide for additional details.
Q: When will the funds be available to me if I’ve enrolled in direct deposit?
A: The FSA reimbursement will appear in your bank account within two (2) business days after the reimbursement date.
Q: Do all prescription medicines qualify for FSA reimbursement?
A: Generally, yes, as long as they are prescribed by a physician and are legal under federal and state laws. However, prescriptions that are purchased solely for cosmetic purposes that don’t treat an existing medical condition do not qualify. Additionally, federal law doesn't allow reimbursement for drugs purchased in foreign countries, even if they are prescription drugs. The only exception to this rule is if you are in a foreign country and purchase and consume the drug while you are in the foreign country.
Q: Do I need to itemize the prescriptions on my claim form?
A: Each prescription does not have to be listed on a separate line of the claim form. You can group prescriptions from the same pharmacy on one line of the claim form, indicating the range of fill dates and total cost.
Q: When can I begin filing claims against my Flexible Spending Account?
A: You may file claims as soon as you incur charges (have services provided) after the plan year has begun.
Q: When can I begin filing claims against my Dependent Care Assistance Program account?
A: You may file claims as soon as you incur charges (have services provided) after the plan year has begun.
Q: How often can I submit claims?
A: You can file claims at any time during the plan year. Keep in mind that your claims must be filed by March 31st of the following year.
Q: What does incurred mean?
A: Incurred is defined in Internal Revenue Code Section 125 as the date the services are provided that gave rise to the expense. Expenses are not considered provided at the time you are billed for or pay for services
Q: When is the final deadline for submitting claims?
A: The deadline for filing claims for each plan year is March 31 that follows the end of the plan year. Please refer to the FSA Enrollment Guide for specifics for your plan.
Q: What happens if I leave employment mid-year?
A: If your employment ends mid-year, you are eligible for reimbursement of expenses that were incurred on or prior to your date of termination. You must submit claims for services by the normal claim run-out deadline of March 31. You may have additional rights under COBRA to continue your FSA participation beyond termination through the end of the plan year. You will receive additional information from FPS if COBRA continuation rights apply.
Q: What are the requirements for reimbursements for over-the-counter (OTC) medicines and drugs?
A: As of January 1, 2011, many over-the-counter (OTC) medications will no longer be reimbursable with Flexible Spending Account funds unless purchased with a physician’s prescription. If the OTC medicine contains an active ingredient, then you must have a doctor’s prescription in order to be reimbursed for the expense. You can use the Letter of Medical Necessity for assistance.
Q: Do vitamins, herbs and nutritional supplements, and exercise equipment qualify for FSA reimbursement?
A: Generally, no. Items such as those listed above are typically for general good health purposes and won’t qualify for FSA reimbursement. However, if you have been diagnosed with a medical condition and you would not have made the purchase were it not for the medical condition, then it may qualify for reimbursement. Your claim must include a letter of diagnosis and recommendation/prescription. This letter is valid for 12 months from issue date. A sample letter of medical necessity is available on the Forms & Documents page of the FPS website. You can give the Letter of Medical Necessity Form to your provider to complete as this will contain all the information necessary to accompany your claim.
Q: What transportation expenses qualify for FSA reimbursement?
A: Transportation that is primarily for and essential to obtaining medical care, including:
  • Bus, taxi, train or plane fares or ambulance services
  • Transportation expenses of a parent who must travel with a child who needs medical care
  • Transportation expenses of a nurse or other person who can give injections, medications and other treatment required by a patient who is traveling to get medical care and can’t travel alone
  • Transportation expenses for regular visits to see a mentally ill dependent, if these visits are recommended as part of treatment.
Mileage is reimbursable for use of a car for medical reasons. You can also include parking fees and tolls. You can add these fees and tolls to your expenses whether claiming actual car expenses or using the standard mileage rate.
Q: What do I need to submit to support mileage with my claim form?
A: You must list the number of miles you traveled to obtain the medical care on the claim form as a separate line item, multiplied by the current allowable amount (for automobile travel expenses you can use a standard rate mileage rate provided by the IRS) allowed by the Internal Revenue Code. It is preferable that you claim the mileage on the same claim form when you claim the cost for medical care. If you do not include the number of miles traveled within your claim submission packet, the request for reimbursement for your mileage expenses will be denied.
Q: How long does my authorization for direct deposit remain in effect with FPS?
A: Your authorization for direct deposit remains in effect with FPS until you change or revoke that authorization. FPS retains direct deposit information from plan year to plan year.
Q: How do I change the account number or financial institution where FPS deposits my reimbursements?
A: You can log in to your online account and update your direct deposit information or complete a direct deposit form and return it to FPS.
Q: Does my employer notify FPS when I change my bank account number for direct deposit for payroll?
A: No, changes to your direct deposit information for payroll are not forwarded to FPS.
Q: How do I know if my claim form was received?
A: If you have provided an email address, you will receive an email notification once your claim has been processed. You can view all claims processed by FPS by logging into your online account or through the mobile application. To view your account online, go to and click on the link Account Login. Follow the prompts to determine if you must register your account first.
Q: How can I check on my FSA balance?
A: You may view your balance and account activity on the FPS web site by going to Account Login. In order to access your account, you will need to create a log in and password. You can also access your balance through the mobile application or by calling customer service.
Q: Where can I see a list of qualifying expenses for my FSA?
A: The list of Eligible Expenses is a general overview. If you have questions after reviewing the list, contact FPS at 800-669-3539.
Q: Can I change my election amount after I enroll in FSA?
A: You may change your election if you have a qualified change in status. Refer to the FSA Enrollment Guide for details.
Q: Are state agency and higher-education employees eligible to participate in the flexible spending account (FSA) program?
A: State agency and higher-education employees who qualify for PEBB insurance are eligible to participate in the FSA program.
Q: How much can I contribute to my Public Employees Benefits Board flexible spending account as a state employee?
A: The annual minimum contribution is $240 and the maximum is $2,500.
Q: When must I submit reimbursements for my Flexible Spending Account?
A: If you have unused funds in your FSA on December 31, you may seek reimbursement for services during the grace period. This means you have through March 15 following the end of the plan year to incur additional eligible expenses. You cannot use your previous plan year FSA funds for services provided after March 15. You must submit all requests for reimbursement to FPS no later than March 31. After that date, you forfeit any funds left in your account.





Questions? Contact us at (800) 669-3539 (FLEX), Monday - Friday from 6:00am to 6:00pm

--© Flex-Plan Services, Inc.  about | privacy | terms & conditions | contact